Policies and Procedures
Employing organizations, universities, and students participating in the recruiting process have a responsibility to adhere to principles of professional conduct. Any unprofessional or unethical conduct can have serious repercussions for all parties, resulting in a reduction of opportunities for all candidates.
As a student at the University of Arkansas, I agree to:
- Accurately present my qualifications and interests
- Honor interview and appointment commitments
- Not share my username and password
- Communicate professionally and respectfully with employers and recruiters
- Apply only for jobs and interviews with companies that are of genuine interest to me. Applying for interviews or positions that are of little or no interest to me can result in lost opportunities for other students and presents an unprofessional image of our campus to recruiters.
After accepting an offer from a company, the following will be completed:
- Submit the First Destination Survey during the last semester of my degree program to provide my placement information.*
- Stop interviewing through the on-campus interview system.
- Notify employers actively recruiting me that I have accepted an offer.
- Fulfill my commitments made in the job offer accepted.
- Agree not to renege or decline a previously accepted offer or use an accepted offer as leverage for another offer elsewhere.
- I understand and agree that reneging on an offer of employment of any kind is grossly unprofessional, not in line with the values and expectations of UA students, and reflects poorly on the University of Arkansas, Offices of Career Connections & Walton Career Connections. I understand that engaging in such behavior will preclude me permanently from further utilizing the services offered by Offices of Career Connections & Walton Career Connections.
Note: if, after accepting a job offer, the employer should rescind the offer, I can immediately re-activate my job search.
*Reporting salary offer and job acceptance information through the U of A's First Destination Survey is critical to the University of Arkansas for our ability to benchmark successful outcomes in national rankings and recognition. All information will remain confidential. Salary and placement information are only reported in statistical format (average salary, percentage of graduates placed, etc.)
Using Handshake through the University of Arkansas certifies that I have read and voluntarily agree to the policies and procedures stated above. I also understand that Handshake is one method for finding a job. It is important that I utilize several job search methods and not rely solely on Handshake.
The Offices of Career Connections provide opportunities and resources for University of Arkansas students and alumni to develop job-search skills and identify potential employment. The Offices of Career Connections do not guarantee job placement for students nor for alumni.
The Offices of Career Connections (OCC) serve as a referral source for jobs and other opportunities and cannot make specific recommendations regarding off-campus employers. The OCC makes no guarantees about the positions listed in Handshake and advises using caution in dealing with any third-party recruiters.
The Offices of Career Connections are not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions or any other aspects of off-campus employment. While we expect employers to adhere to ethical standards, we are not able to thoroughly research the integrity of every organization or individual that lists a job with us. Students and alumni are urged to ask good questions and use common sense when applying for any job or internships, particularly with respect to employment in a private home or other opportunities not affiliated with an established public or private sector organization. We encourage you to research prospective employers using resources made available by the Offices of Career Connections, as well as company websites.
Please contact the Offices of Career Connections if you believe any employer listing jobs or internships has misrepresented opportunities or has otherwise engaged in unethical conduct concerning recruitment or employment practices.
Career fairs and events provide an excellent opportunity for students to network with employers to explore career paths and career opportunities. The Offices of Career Connections (OCC) has outlined specific employer policies for career fair and event participation. Please note that the OCC reserves the right to refuse participation to employers based on industry representation and space availability, including but not limited to the information below.
- Employers must be an approved employer in Handshake at the University of Arkansas in order to register and attend recruiting events.
- Organizations whose account is not paid in full will be required to pay for all past outstanding fees and pre-pay (via phone) for the current fair(s) they wish to attend. Employers with any outstanding fees will not be permitted to attend the fair(s) and their registration will remain pending until their account is paid in full. To pre-pay, please contact the Employer Relations Coordinator at 479-575-2804.
Once your organization has been notified that your registration has been approved, the following cancellation policy is in effect:
- Payment is due upon approval of your registration. No refunds or credits will be issued less than 14 days prior to the event. Cancellations received in writing at least 14 days before the event will receive a full refund minus $35.00 to offset system and financial charges.
- All cancellations must be submitted in writing by email to the Employer Relations
Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) and include:
- Event Title
- Contact Name
- Reason for Cancellation
- Confirmation of the cancellation request will be provided upon receipt of the written request.
- If a registration is paid in full, but cancelled less than 14 days prior to the event, or if your recruiters do not show up for the event, the registration fee as well as any other applicable charges based on the original registration request (extra tables, electricity, additional representatives etc.) is non-refundable.
- If a registration is NOT paid in full, and cancelled less than 14 days prior to the event, or if your recruiters do not show up for the event, full payment is still required. Future registrations will not be allowed until this balance is paid (See Employer Eligibility section).
- Virtual career fairs and events will be subject to the same cancellation and refund policies as in-person events. In addition, there will be no provision for refunds or future credits in the event of user error, firewall issues, or other technical or connectivity issues on the part of the employer. While the OCC will provide support prior to and during events, registered organizations are responsible for ensuring their devices, networks, etc. will allow access to all features of the virtual platform in advance of the event.
Hazardous Weather and Emergencies
- In the event of hazardous or inclement weather, the OCC will not host career fairs or scheduled events if the University of Arkansas is closed.
- In the event of any emergency, natural disaster, or public health crisis, the OCC will not host career fairs or other scheduled events if conditions are deemed to be unsafe.
- If an event is cancelled, the OCC will notify career fair registrants via email no later than 3 hours prior to the scheduled start time and will attempt to reschedule for a later date or provide a comparable virtual alternative.
- If the organization chooses to participate on the rescheduled date, all fees, as well as cancellation policies will apply.
- If the organization cannot attend the rescheduled event, a full refund or an event credit will be applied to the registered organization. Event credits must be used within one calendar year from the original event date.
- In the event an employer is unable to attend due to inclement weather or emergency in their geographic area, no refunds will be offered; however requests for compensatory registrations at an upcoming event will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
If the University has a delayed start the day of an event due to inclement weather, the event will have a delayed start matching the time the University has announced opening and will run until the scheduled ending time.
For example, if the University announces a delayed start time of 11:00am, the STEM Fair will run from 11:00am - 3:30pm. If lunch was to be provided for an event, it will still be provided.
Please consult the following for official news regarding the event status/schedule:
- Offices of Career Connections at 479-575-2805 or 479-575-2804
- Employer Relations Coordinator at email@example.com
Questions about career fairs and events not answered by this policy should be directed to the Employer Relations Coordinator (479-575-2804 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
A primary objective of the University of Arkansas Offices of Career Connections (OCC) or Walton Career Connections (WCS) is to support employers in their efforts to recruit and hire UA students. View the policy to learn about the University of Arkansas' job posting approval process in Handshake.
We ask that all employers adhere to our hiring guidelines and policies when extending offers to students.